Our Texas Bluebonnets!

Our Texas Bluebonnets!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

I'm a Mama's girl

Yes, it's true. This precious little thing has decided that she can't live one second without me by her side. Not ONE. She has really attached herself to my hip bone (which, by the way, is very sore from carrying her so much!). When Johnny left the day after getting home from China, she quickly became a Mama's girl. So much so, that when he returned, she wanted nothing to do with him. For days, she wouldn't even let him talk to her. I'm guessing that maybe there was some weird feelings there about him leaving??? Whatever the reason, she seems to be letting him back in...very s-l-o-w-l-y. He takes it where he can and has been very patient with her.

On the whole, I think Quinn is adjusting better than we expected. It's been almost 3 weeks since she has been home. We have seen her take some great strides in certain areas, but step backwards in others. There are so many things to know about attachment issues and helping her adjust to her new life. I'm trying to read all I can about these things, but honestly, we are just continuing to give her all the love we can. I can say, without a doubt, that she loves being a part of this family. When we are all home, she lights up the room with her smile. She adores her siblings and just loves hanging with the gang. She has even started accepting (no touching) the 2 little dogs. The 2 big GO GO's (what she calls them) have not made her fan list as of yet. It's such a delight to see her buzzing around the house, laughing and playing. Everything is still such a wonder to Quinn, which is so refreshing to witness. I love watching her get so excited about the "little" stuff!

We spend a lot of time outside and Quinn LOVES this! We live on a cul-de-sac street, so she can run, ride, scooter...to her hearts desire. One thing we noticed about her is how fast she can run. I promise you have never seen a 3 year move her legs as fast as Quinn. It looks like Road Runner when she runs....just a little blur of itty bitty legs.


Quinn loves bath time now. We can barely get her OUT of the tub when just 2 weeks ago, we couldn't get her IN.

I met my friend, Nicole, and her two little ones at the zoo a few days ago. It was such a beautiful day and we were just so excited to start enjoying the nice weather. Quinn tends to clam up around other kids right now and the clinginess gets a little worse. We are really not sure what is going through her brain when other kids are around, but we know this will pass with time. Poor little Ava...she wanted to converse with Quinn SOOOO badly. Quinn completely ignored her and little Pei. Although SHE ignored the girls, I had a great time seeing them!


Today, we went to visit Wren, who just had heart surgery last week. This was the first meeting for these two girls. Wren is doing soooo well with her surgery and we were so excited to spend some time with her. She is truly adorable. Notice the death grip Quinn's got on me. She would not let me put her down the entire time. We are working through this....

So, has it been a bed full of roses??? Nope. BUT....I wouldn't trade one second of this for the world. We are having our ups as well as our downs. And together, we are weathering the storm. I know that I feel a stronger connection each and every day. One that is building with each smile and with each tantrum.

I promise to do a better job with updating the blog. Time is not something I seem to have any extra of right now. I guess it's good thing that I like to stay busy! :)




5 comments:

  1. I love the outfit! Is that one of your new purchases????? We need to plan a shopping trip soon!
    Ava and Pei really love being around Quinn! But think about it Pei is not too social right now either. And then you have singing and dancing Ava! Who by the way has been home for two years! So time is what these girls need!
    Call me. BTW Foxie is moving in for a kiss or one of those yummy chips in that photo!
    Nic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see your update, Nikki. Quinn is stunningly beautiful and happy and full of life. You both are so lovely to look at and your bond is obvious. Congratulations, again.

    Linda, BAAS, waiting for Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad Quinn is doing SO well! She is just a doll and what a blessing she is SO attached to you!!! So great that you have such a sweet friend nearby to share your journey with! Wondering about Kerri. So sad how we are together for a whole week and then nothing. Please let her know I asked about her!
    Blessings!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so fun to see sweet little Quinn. Mark and I thought she was SO precious in China. I am glad to hear that she is bonding so well. Blessings to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What cute pictures of Quinn! Such a pretty smile, I love the tub pic :) It was great having you guys over last week and to finally meet Quinn in person. She is a doll. I can't wait to see the girls all running around laughing together and being silly.

    Shana

    ReplyDelete