Our Texas Bluebonnets!

Our Texas Bluebonnets!

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Updates...from China to Texas

Johnny and Quinn finally made it to Guangzhou. They were missing for a little while, which nearly gave me a heart attack, but we found out that their plane was diverted mid-flight to another city. They had to spend the night in Guilin, China. Johnny is communicating with us through his computer and could not find internet connection. Quinn got really sick on the flight, but seemed to take it just fine. Johnny continually says she is an absolute angel. He and Kerri have now met up and the cousins are having a great time together! They barely made it in time for the medical exam, which is EXTREMELY important. Quinn needs 7 shots (ughhhh), but the doctors decided to wait until Monday because she was running a slight fever. Oh, and the doctor confirmed her scabies. No shock there. I think I have pretty much freaked Johnny out about how careful he has to be with bagging and isolating all clothes that are worn! Her skin is looking better, though, and she will have one more treatment before returning home.

Now, for some updates on what's going on back home!

The kids finished their 2nd week of school. They are all doing great; however, I am having a terrible time with Ava. If you know our family, you are already aware that Miss Ava does not have the best sleeping habits. We have tried many things (sleep studies, reward charts, removal of tonsils and adenoids, allergy meds...you name it, we've tried it) to no avail. We keep thinking that when Quinn gets home, she will actually want to sleep in her room. Getting her up at 6:45 every morning is HARD. It's like trying to wake up the Wicked Witch of the West. Sort of scary!

So, when she comes home from school, she is E-X-H-A-U-S-T-E-D.

I have been trying very hard to keep her awake. A 5 minute nap equals no sleeping until midnight. She knows she is not supposed to be napping, so the other day, I actually found her sleeping under the bed. Dragging her out was not easy.

And then, a few days later, we found THIS:

I guess she thought we wouldn't "see" her sleeping since she hid her head under the table.

And there was NO waking her up. She was like a limp noodle.


We tried and tried to wake her...it didn't go so well.

Soooo, now I am having to come up with some type of bribery. (hey, I am NOT above bribing). She has her eyes set on a pillow pet. Pretty fitting, I thought!

The update on my mysterious illness is that I still have it. I think it's getting a bit more challenging for me now. The doctors are taking their time in getting a diagnosis, which is REALLY frustrating to me. I've been through some testing, which has led into more testing, which is leading into even more testing. There IS something going on, they all agree...but no one knows exactly what it is. I guess I really am a complicated person! :)

More updates soon....

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, I know how frustrating it can be to try and keep a child from taking a nap!!! If either one of our girls nap, bedtime is HARD but if we are in the car for even 5 minutes, they are OUT! Good luck:) I hope you start feeling better soon and the doctors can figure out what is going on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ava !
    Maybe she is my child!
    So glad that J and Q made it safe and sound!
    Okay where are the pics of the cousins together?????????
    Nic

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1st) I love LOVE love the pictures of the cousins together. Very sweet. You are right, they will always have this bond.

    2nd) Ava sleeping sounds like my LiLi! I always tell people, "Don't wake the beast!" She needs about 60 minutes to wake up in the morning because she is sooooooo mean in the morning. And if she is tired, there is no stopping her from sleeping. Once she fell asleep on the floor of a store while I paid for some books. I turned around and couldn't find her. I found her by a shelf sleeping.

    3rd) I really hope you feel better soon and get some good news. You're still in my prayers.

    Sharyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki- My 7 year old is a lot like Ava. Tried everything you have except sleep study. We finally found that if we give her 200mg of melatonin before bath time, she'll be ready to fall asleep at bedtime. Otherwise she's up and restless until at least 11. 200mg is a very low dose and it isn't habit forming. Just a thought.
    ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pics of Ava are even funnier than your description! Oh how I wish I could sleep like that! Loving all the pics of Quinn and Gia! They are priceless :)

    Shana

    ReplyDelete