Our Texas Bluebonnets!

Our Texas Bluebonnets!

Monday, August 30, 2010

It's Quinn Day!


I can't believe this day is finally here. Not being in China is certainly not easy on a day like today, but I am overjoyed that our baby girl is officially part of our family now!

Note: You will have to put up with only Skype pictures. Sorry!!! We'll have better ones soon.

The guide in Nanchang is amazing. He has really been great so far. He arranged for Quinn to be dropped off in the room so I could be on the Skype. Can't get much better than that when you are not physically present. I joined up with Johnny on the Skype at 5:00 am my time, 6:00 PM China time. Quinn arrived into the room at 6:30. She had been on a train for 6 hours. The orphanage director and several others brought her in. They must be familiar with Skype because they all said hello to me. :) Quinn was pretty quiet, but she came over to the computer and said "Mama" very softly. I wanted to reach right through that computer and pick her up. They had a little bag of things for her....all the things we sent her plus a bag of formula. She was dressed in a Power Ranger t-shirt, baggy shorts and sandals that were too small. The orphanage director came over to Johnny and gave him a gift for Quinn. They told us that Lian Lian is very easy and that she knows how to use a Western toilet. They did not stay long at all and said they would answer any questions tomorrow.


This is when the water works began. Poor Quinn cried and cried for her "Aiya" (Nanny). She would not let Johnny or the guide pick her up and pretty much threw anything they gave her. This went on for about 1 to 1.5 hours until she started vomiting. After she was done with that, she seemed to settle down a little. Johnny picked her up and brought her over to the computer. By this time, my kids were up for school. This seemed to distract her enough to stop crying. We even considered letting the kids go to school late because she seemed to really enjoy seeing them. She said "Ni Hao" to all the kids and to my Mother. Her voice is very quiet. She started throwing up again for the next few minutes and was actually quiet calm while doing it. Poor baby! I'm sure all of the crying combined with a first time train ride did not agree with her stomach.



The guide talked to her quite a bit at this point and she seemed to start relaxing. She speaks very good Mandarin combined with a little local dialect. Coby (the guide) says she is very smart and so pretty! Upon further examination, Johnny discovered that she was covered in little bites everywhere. I had him take a few pictures and send them to me. Yep, she has scabies. Good thing I sent some prescription scabies meds! By this time, she started sucking her thumb (SO CUTE) and getting really sleepy. Once she was out, Johnny layered the medicine on all over her body. When he took off the t-shirt, it woke her up and she began scratching terribly at all the bites. They put her in long sleeved PJ's with socks, just to keep the Elimite off her hands and out of her mouth. From there, she fell back asleep and Johnny put her in the crib for the night.




Other than the scabies, she looks very healthy. She does seem very tiny, but we were expecting that as she only weighs 25 pounds as a 3.5 year old. We are all just so excited about this baby girl. I pray that she can come to understand what is happening to her and how this will change her life for the better. I know there is a ways to go, so we'll all be there with patience and understanding.

Johnny was exhausted, so he was off to bed. I promise to post better pictures as I get them.




7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Nikki! What a roller coaster you are on!! How wonderful that you were able to see her first moments through Skype and how amazing that she went over to you and called mama! And how heartbreaking that you could not reach through and snuggle her. It must have been so hard!!! She is beautiful and surely overwhelmed with shock. After a few days her tummy will no doubt feel better. and her Skin!!

    Good luck to Johnny as he works through this early transition. They will be home in your arms before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. How amazing you were able to see her transition to your husband. She is so beautiful!!! Many prayers that she will feel better and tomorrow is a new day.

    Brandee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally laughing my butt off! I have been staring at that baby on the bed going whose little baby is that! I just realized that it is Quinns bitty baby!!!!!!!! I am a complete ding dong!!!!!!
    So excited to meet Ms. Quinn!!!!!!
    Aunt Nic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol!I thought it was a baby too! I love the picture where she is sucking her thumb:) I just want to squeeze her!

    Shana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww...how amazing that you could see it all on skype. What a blessing! Okay, jumping to the newer posts to catch up now!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great you were able to participate in her Gotcha Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to see that she is in her Daddy's arms and from your other posts, it sounds like she is doing so great!!! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete