Well, life is sort of funny sometimes. You plan and plan....and then you
PLAN
SOME
MORE!
And then, all the things you planned for turn out way different than you ever imagined.
Well, that's right where we are. We had to push our trip back by 2 days because I have been sick for nearly 5 weeks. We thought the 2 extra days would give me a little more time to get better...but those days didn't make a difference. Upon my doctor's and agency's advice, I have decided to stay back and let my husband head to China for Quinn. This decision was extremely difficult for me. I tend to be a very bad patient..stubborn and hard headed, not taking the time I need to get better. I have to admit...5 weeks ago, I started feeling terrible, but was in one of the most important few weeks of my year at the competitive cheer gym I own. I worked 14 hour days while I was horribly sick. At the same time, I was back and forth to my doctor, asking for a miracle drug to cure my horrible stomach bug. That went on for several weeks and now, here I am, still fighting something. I think I need to learn a lesson here. Time to rest is not usually on my agenda.
So, this is the hand I was dealt. Now what? Well, I'm doing my best to not let this take away any excitement for our little girl to be making her way home. My very dear and wonderful husband is just a rock star dad. There was no way he was going to allow Quinn to stay in her orphanage another day. He did not hesitate to say that he'd go alone. We are SO lucky that his sister, Kerri, will be in Guangzhou for the 2nd half of the trip. And as sad as I am to miss out on that experience, this really isn't about me. I will have a life time with Quinn. We just want this baby girl home! And I didn't want any focus on me in China by being sick...this baby girl deserves all of that focus.
So, please follow along while my husband makes his way to our 4th child! I'm going to be posting pictures from China and updating everyone about his and Quinn's adventures!
Here are some pictures from our day of packing and heading to the airport. The last few pictures of us as a family of 5!
We thought we had told Jack that I was not going....on the way to the airport, he says, "Mom, who is going to drive us back home???"
This was the hard part......
2 more weeks to go....




Nikki, I'm dissappointed for you, but with all you've been through I'm pleased you can look at the long view and see she's yours forever! Will pray for your healing. We are on our 4th adoption trek that has blessed us with our incredible kids(ok, I'm biased : ) ) and 2cd from China. Our dossier just went over for Lauren (5) and we've been excitedly watching others as they join with the children they've been waiting for. Will follow your husband John as he welcomes Quinn into your family. God bless you all - Lynda Carr
ReplyDeleteAs soon as she is in your arms, it really will not matter!
ReplyDeleteI'm sooo sorry you had to stay home. What a horrible decision you had to make! I feel so bad for you, but I can't wait to see pictures of your little girl. Oh! And there is a positive: you won't be all jet-lagged when they come home, so you'll have energy to be a really good mommy to her!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that it isn't what you pictured--but, you are absolutely right--it's not the "experience" that matters, it's bringing her home! I'm looking for those updates and can't wait to see her!
ReplyDeleteKelly
I am so sorry you had to stay home. Lots of families send only one parent. It will all work out for the best. You'll see! I also agreee with Amy. When your DH gets back, you will not have jet-lag and then you can take over.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see the updates!!!
Okay girlie we are defintely doing lunch next week with Shana!!!!!! All of the girls will keep you busy :)
ReplyDeleteJust think in just a few weeks Quinn will be home!!!!!!! I am sooooo excited!!!!!
And you my friend will be well rested and on the road to recovery and ready to hold your baby girl!!!!!!!!!!!
Nic
Nikki- May your time at home be blessed with regained health. Take care of yourself as you prepare to welcome home forever sweet Quinn! Can't wait to follow your "rock star" DH!!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Kelly
Nikki - I am so sorry you couldn't go, but you seem to have a good attitude. And just think - when he gets home with your sweet girl you will be rested and NOT JET LAGGED. You will be able to ease her into the family and help when she needs it because you will be healthy and well rested. I know it's hard, but God clearly has a reason that this occurred that you might not see until sometime way later.
ReplyDeleteHi there Nikki. I am just tuning in to the China trip. So sorry to hear about your cold preventing you from going to pick up your new daughter, but it's the right decision. I am not sure, but when we went through one of the cities (can't remember if it's Guangzhou or Nanchang), I remember seeing a room with travelers in it... and my impression was they were in there because they were all sick and maybe being checked out.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to read the other posts now, so I can catch up on your husband's Nanchang trip and your new daughter!