Our Texas Bluebonnets!

Our Texas Bluebonnets!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

3 months ago....


....a little girl came into our lives and changed us forever!

Just the other day, I was laying with Quinn as she fell asleep. She looked at me and said, "Quinn Lian is happy". Just to hear those words from her nearly took my breath away.

Her language is exploding now and we are starting to have a new line of communication with her. I think some of her frustrations came from us not understanding what she needed or wanted. Her tantrums have gotten much better! She has started to tell us things about her friends and Ayis in the orphanage. We feel like we are getting little bits and pieces of things that she may forget as she gets older. One of the things we learned is that her Ayi slept right next to her crib in the orphanage. Quinn also says that she and others cried every night. This helps shed some light on her current sleeping patterns. Although it seems to be getting better, Quinn still wakes up crying most nights. She is quickly comforted, which is a blessing, but I hate that she is not getting continuous sleep. Some of this continuous waking may be due to her very itchy skin condition. She has been diagnosed with eczema PLUS some type of other "mysterious" condition. The doctor thinks her itchy condition comes from years of having scabies in the orphanage. I hate that she probably has itched most of her life!!! Nothing much worse than constant ITCHING!

As far as Quinn's heart condition goes, the doctor says she had a great repair done in China for her VSD. We were so relieved to get through our first cardiologist appt. We will monitor her heart every 6 months as she grows, but overall, we are happy with her results.

By the way, I might mention that she is a HUGE Mama's girl. If she could velcro herself to me, I think she would! We have laughed about her "Mama" songs. Every word to all the songs she sings will be MAMA. (insert songs like Twinkle, Twinkle....Old McDonald and then put MAMA for all the words). I find her just staring at me at times and when I'll look at her, she just lights up with a smile. Of course, she adores and loves her Daddy and siblings. She just happens to be quite the Mama fan!


THANKSGIVING

We decided to head up to Kansas City for Thanksgiving. We were a little unsure how Quinn would do in a different setting with so many people around. When we told her she would be seeing Gia again, she was quick to say NO Gia. We are pretty sure that she thought she was headed back to China. When we arrived in Kansas City, she ran straight into the arms of her grandparents! The reunion with Gia went great! Quinn was so excited to see Gia and Aunt Kerri again. I love that these cousins have such a special bond. She had a GREAT time with all of her cousins and fit right in to our crazy gang.





I must add a BIG Happy Birthday to my other baby girl, Ava. I can't believe she is 6 years old! I am so proud of the way Ava has "tried" to share the spotlight with Quinn. After being the baby of the family for nearly 6 years, she has done her best to let Quinn take the reigns. We are definitely making a lot of progress with the new title of Big Sister.

I am looking forward to the Christmas season! It's been fun introducing Quinn to our family traditions and holidays. This is without a doubt, my favorite time of year!!!



8 comments:

  1. Love the pics!!!!!!The cousins look so cute together!!!!
    Nic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Quinn is just beautiful! Love the pics of the cousins together! Christmas should be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so lucky that she is able to tell you some things from her past. Our little guy either blocked out everything or had a very bad memory before we got him.
    As far as the sleep, we've had our son for a year and a half, he will be four at the end of this month, and he is still not sleeping through the night. Not only that, but he seems to need less sleep in the day than I do. I truly hope your precious little girl learns to sleep through the night soon, for both your sakes.
    She is a beauty! How wonderful of God to bring you together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great update!!!Such beautiful photos and so sweet that she was able to see Gia again!!! I've wondered how things were going with you all. Quinn is adorable and LOVE the pics of you two!!!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Nikki and John,

    I am a grand-mother from Québec and I am following your story since the begining with sometimes worry and sometimes with joy. It was the case today. Quinn seems so happy in your last post, and she is realy a beautiful little girl

    I have the joy of having two beautiful grand-children from China, a little girl of 4 and a little boy of 1 year and 9 monrh. They are a rea; joy.

    May you be happy for having taken this sweet girl as part of your family. She realy needs you and every member of your family.

    Have a super Christmas and tell your Quinn that she found the most precious gift... your love...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would also like to thank you for writing this blog. I am in Michigan and have a 7 yr old son and 4 yr old daughter and we are in the process of adopting what we hope to be a 2-3 yr old little girl from China (dossier was sent to China last week)! Reading about your journey to Quinn and how she is adapting now that she is home has really been helpful to me. Thank you! You have a very beautiful family, enjoy the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nikki! So great to hear from you and such beautiful pictures you have posted! I'm thrilled to hear of all the progress, and of course sorry to hear of the itchies! No fun. Larissa is doing well, although we had our first trip to the ER last night with a high fever and dehydration. Rissa seems to be doing a little better today. Of course we are feeling like such rookie parents :-) We both think of you and check your blog often. Quinn is absolutely beautiful! So happy for all of you! Ava is such a cutie too! Wishing you and your precious family the best for the holidays! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!!! Glad that Quinn Lian is so happy and it sounds like so is her mama!!!

    Great update and I guess enjoy that velcro girl now, I try too as I know someday it will all change and friends will take the spotlight:)

    Love the pic of her with her grandaddy!!! and the cousins.

    ReplyDelete